#Broaden Your Reading Horizons
Welcome to the 2023 Jax Stacks Reading Challenge, the Library's year-round reading challenge for adults! Library staff have hand-picked 16 categories of books for you to read this year. Try a new series, a new genre or a new format (like audiobooks). It's also a great way to check out some books you might have overlooked!
Rule number one: Have fun reading. Rule number two: check out books from your local library! That’s it, that’s all we’re really asking of you.
But if you want some more structure, and a prize, head on over to our Jax Stacks blog for a complete rundown. Or, stop by your local library for a 2023 Jax Stacks Reading Challenge bookmark!
Looking for ideas (or a monthly reminder)? Sign up for Jax Stacks emails on the Library U enrollment page. Every month, we'll send our suggestions for each of the 16 categories! Note: You can read any book that fits a category, not just the ones we send out, but if you need help finding something new, the mailing list is here for you! We'll also post these book recommendations to the Library's blog.
Choose the 12 categories that interest you and read one book that fits each category, for a total of 12 books. Each book only counts for one category, so choose wisely! If you want to win a prize, be sure to write those book titles down on our Reading Challenge bookmark, snap a picture of the completed bookmark, and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org before December 31, 2023!
- A book you've read and loved before
- A book written before 2000
- A book in a genre you don't usually read
- A book recommended by a Library staff member
- A historical book set in Africa
- A book in translation
- A book written by an author when they were under 30
- A book set in a place you want to visit
- A book read by one of the Library's book clubs in 2023
- A book by a visiting 2023 Lit Chat author
- A self-improvement, how-to, or DIY book
- A book with a non-human protagonist
- A book banned in the last 10 years
- A book by a Nobel Prize winner
- A book with illustrations
- A book under 300 pages
Don't worry if you get started late! Any book you read in 2023 that fits the categories counts for the challenge. For more detailed descriptions of each category, check out our blog!
Join us at our monthly Jax Stacks Book Club meetings and come talk about the books you're reading! Each meeting will focus on one or two categories from the bookmark.