Jax Stacks Reading Challenge Begins!
A new year has arrived, and for many of us, that signals the start of our New Year’s resolutions. Is one of your resolutions to read more? If so, up your reading game by joining Jax Stacks, the Library’s new year-round reading challenge!
Our library staff have hand-picked 16 categories of books for you to read in 2022 that are designed to broaden your reading horizons. The challenge is to complete 12 of the 16 categories we have provided by the end of the year. You can, of course, find the perfect book for each category at the Library! Expand your literary comfort zone by trying out a new series, a new genre, a new format, and check out some books you might have overlooked!
There couldn’t be a more perfect time to set new reading goals. Join our Reading Challenge now! Read more below.
Sign Up for Jax Stacks Reading Challenge
Join our mailing list by filling out the form above and you will receive an email from us every month with book recommendations for one or two of our challenge categories. You can read any book that fits a category, not just the ones we send out, but if you need help finding something new, the mailing list is here for you! If you're not an email person, you can also visit our Jax Stacks page each month to see our recommendations.
Meet up with us virtually in our members-only Facebook group each month for an open discussion post to share what books you’re reading for the challenge. Help us expand our own reading stacks and let us know if you are reading something we didn’t include in our recommendations!
Meet up with us in person at our monthly Jax Stacks book club meetings. Each meeting will focus on the categories we’re highlighting in our monthly email, and you can also come to chat about any book you’re reading for the reading challenge.
Have fun reading, and check out books from your local library! That’s it, that’s all we’re really asking of you. But if you want some more structure, and a prize, here are some rules for you:
- The Jax Stacks Reading Challenge starts January 1, 2022 and ends December 31, 2022. Any book you read in 2022 that fits the categories counts for the challenge.
- We’ve listed 16 categories of books. Choose 12 categories that interest you and read one book that fits each category, for a total of 12 books. Each book only counts for one category, so choose wisely!
- Once you’ve read 12 different books that fit the challenge categories, write them down on our Reading Challenge bookmark (available at your nearest Jacksonville Public Library branch), snap a picture, and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org! You can also share it on social media with the hashtag #jaxstacks, but you must email it to us to get a prize.
- When you send your completed list to email@example.com by January 6, 2023, you will receive a 25% off coupon to the Friends of the Library book sale (while supplies last).
- A book by a Jacksonville author
- A book read by a Library book club in 2022
- A book by an author that shares your zodiac sign
- A book about current events
- A book in a different format than you usually read
- A book in a genre you don’t usually read
- A book by an international author
- A book you’ve been meaning to read but haven’t
- A book adapted to or from a TV show, film, or video game
- An audiobook read by the author
- An award-winner or celebrity book club pick
- A book about a culture other than your own
- The first book in a series
- A book written for teens
- A book written by a 2022 Lit Chat author
- A book under 300 pages
Jax Stacks Reading Challenge is sponsored by the Friends of the Jacksonville Public Library
If you are interested in additional ways to connect, share ideas and learn with others like you, sign up for Library U. Library U is a collection of classes and events, like Lit Chats and Writer's Labs that are free to every library cardholder.