Jax Student Poetry Contest
It's Jacksonville's 200th birthday! Add your voice to the celebration... and to history! Jacksonville Public Library invites youth in grades 4-12 to submit an original poem, not to exceed one page in length, celebrating Jacksonville's upcoming Bicentennial. Entries will be accepted online through April 30, 2022 and top winners from three age categories will win a cash prize!
"Looking back, moving forward." Take a look back at our City's history while imagining our bold future!
- An original poem, not to exceed one page in length, celebrating Jacksonville’s Bicentennial
- Open to students in Duval County in the following age categories:
- Grades 4-5
- Grades 6-8
- Grades 9-12
Deadline and Details
- Poems must be submitted by April 30, 2022
- If you have a Google account (such as Gmail), you can submit via this Google Form
- Please do not include the poet's name on the poem itself. Enter it on the form instead.
- You can also email entries, with a cover page, to JPLYouthServices@coj.net
Winners will be chosen from each age category and receive a certificate and a cash prize:
- $50 for First Place
- $25 for Second Place
- $15 for Third Place
Students with winning and/or published poems will be notified before the end of the school year and invited to a special celebration event in their honor, to be held during the Summer. Additionally, a selection of poems will be published by the Jacksonville Public Library and become part of the collection.
Teachers submitting multiple entries on behalf of their students or students without a Gmail account can email us at JPLYouthServices@coj.net. Please include a cover page for each poem with poem title, author’s name, teacher’s name, school, and grade. Please do not include the poet's name on the poem itself. This will ensure judging is fair and impartial.