Jax Student Poetry Contest
In celebration of Jacksonville's upcoming Bicentennial June 15, 2022: We invite youth in grades 4-12 to participate in our poetry contest (and possibly win a cash prize).
"Looking back, moving forward." Take a look back at our history while imagining our bold future!
- An original poem, not to exceed one page in length, celebrating Jacksonville’s Bicentennial
- Open to students in Duval County in the following age categories:
- Grades 4-5
- Grades 6-8
- Grades 9-12
- Poems must be submitted by April 1, 2022
- If you have a Google account (such as Gmail), you can submit via this Google Form
- Please do not include the poet's name on the poem itself. Enter it on the form instead.
- You can also email entries, with a cover page, to JPLYouthServices@coj.net
Winners will be chosen from each age category and receive a certificate and a cash prize:
- $50 for First Place
- $25 for Second Place
- $15 for Third Place
- Prize Bundle for Judge’s Choice
Students with winning and/or published poems will be notified before the end of the school year and invited to a special celebration event in their honor, to be held during the Summer. Additionally, a selection of poems will be published by the Jacksonville Public Library and become part of the collection.
Teachers submitting multiple entries on behalf of their students or students without a Gmail account can email us at JPLYouthServices@coj.net. Please include a cover page for each poem with poem title, author’s name, teacher’s name, school, and grade. Please do not include the poet's name on the poem itself. This will ensure judging is fair and impartial.