Frenemies. An unusual alliance. The odd couple. Some would say that friendship can be found in the most unexpected places. But what do YOU think? Take a look at how the reads and resources below match up with your experiences and tag @jaxlibrary to share your thoughts!
Choosing between living the life you want and living the life you're "supposed to have" isn't easy. Noah wants a career in costume design, something his parents would never approve of. Azarie dreams of embracing the hobbies she secretly loves, hobbies her social circle would never abide by. Although Noah's and Azarie's social statuses usually keep them from crossing paths, a chance encounter reveals some common ground: the desire to be who they truly are.
Questions to think about while you read:
- How many different social circles, or cliques, are you aware of in your school?
- To what extent is it easy or difficult to move in and out of different social circles?
- Would you describe differing traits and interests between friends as a pro or a con? Why?
#LISTEN: Unusual Food Pairings
Odd pairings can extend beyond people to books, music, and even food. Listen in as Food Network staffers describe some supposedly southern combos, then challenge your friends to try them with you!
Questions to think about while you listen:
- How would you rate these dishes with 1 being "not happening" and 5 being "100% recommend"?
- What is the weirdest but most delicious food pairing you've ever tasted?
- What is the grossest food combination you've ever heard of?
#EXPLORE: DIY Picture Frame
Record memories of your friendships, unlikely or otherwise! Cut up a cereal box to fit the size of your photo and tape it down, leaving space around the border. Decorate the border to your liking, either with markers or colorful washi or duct tape. Then apply some adhesive magnets to the back, and show it off!
#JOIN: Attend a program in person!
Registration is required; if space allows, walk-ins will be admitted. Use the link in the program information to register.