We've reached that time of year when many people are looking for a good scare! Check out the reads and resources below and treat yourself to some spine-chilling stories.
And if you want to pull some harmless tricks on friends and family, join up with other teens at TAB: Haunted Happenings to practice creating different costume features with special effects makeup!
When Isabel Crane moves to Sleepy Hollow, the town made famous by the legend of the Headless Horseman, she quickly befriends town royalty Vicky Van Tassel. Vicky's weariness with her family connection to the legend turns to terror when they encounter the Horseman himself, and uncover a curse on the Van Tassel line. As October 31st approaches, Izzy will have to use all of her wits to save Vicky and unravel the mystery -- before it's too late.
Questions to think about while you read:
- Do you believe in paranormal activity? Why or why not?
- What places or areas have you heard rumors about being haunted?
- To what extent can you tolerate eerie sights or sounds? Which ones would be a red line for you?
Interested in knowing how and where the stories of monsters like the Headless Horseman originated? Listen in as Emily Zarka, Ph.D., takes a closer look at some of the most (in)famous myths and legends!
Questions to think about while you listen:
- Do you see any value in telling scary stories? Why or why not?
- Why do you think so many different cultures have similar myths about monsters?
- Which creature do you find the scariest? The most benign?
#EXPLORE: Fused Photos
Manipulate photos to create your own eerie monsters! Once you select a background image and a foreground image, download a double exposure app to practice blending the two together. PRO TIP: start out with a nature background so you don't have to spend too much time lining up the images.
#JOIN: Attend a program in person!
Registration is required; if space allows, walk-ins will be admitted. Use the link in the program information to register.