Effective: December 8, 2005
Last Reviewed: November 18, 2021
- Publications presented or sponsored by or on behalf of the Library, any of its Affinity Groups, or the City of Jacksonville will take precedence over all other free publications.
- Other local organizations, publishers, institutions, clubs, companies and individuals are eligible for space on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Distribution of materials, including the number of copies of a publication and/or the size of the publication itself, is subject to space limitations as determined by the Library.
- Only the area designated for free, nonlibrary publications may be used for this purpose.
- The Library is solely responsible for the acceptance and placement of materials in and the aesthetic appearance of the area designated to the distribution of free materials.
- Permission to distribute materials does not constitute an endorsement by the Library of the group or any point of view expressed.
- The Library reserves the right to dispose of materials that are no longer current, are beyond their publication cycle, or have been in the Library for distribution more than one month.
- The Library reserves the right to dispose of racks or other distribution equipment that are unused or unsightly.
- The Library reserves the right to dispose of materials, racks and other equipment left in undesignated areas.
- Use Guidelines
- A group or individual who wishes to make a free publication available at a Library branch must obtain prior approval from the branch manager or Person-on-Duty before placing the publication in the Library. The decision to accept a publication is the prerogative of the branch manager, based on space availability.
- Delivery and/or distribution of approved publications is the sole responsibility of the individual or group. The Library will not accept responsibility for delivering or distributing materials except for publications of Library Affinity Groups and the City of Jacksonville.
- All racks and other distribution equipment must be approved by the branch manager or Person-on-Duty before they can be placed in the Library branch.
- Groups or individuals may not rearrange any materials or remove the entire stock of any publication, other than their own, placed in the Library for free distribution.
- Authorization to Define Procedures
The purpose of this policy is to clarify who, how and when individuals or groups may distribute free, nonlibrary publications at branch libraries as provided by the Board of Trustees of the Jacksonville Public Library (henceforth, the Library). The Main Library does not provide space for free publications from outside sources.
The Board of Library Trustees authorizes the Library Director to establish procedures to administer this policy, and to delegate any and all responsibilities herein to other staff through such procedures.