Effective: October 21, 2021
Last Reviewed: October 21, 2021
- The Library provides three type of space designated for free public use:
- Community Rooms – large rooms that can be configured in a variety of ways to meet the needs of different types of groups. Community Rooms are best suited for programs and events for groups of five or more. Technology and other attributes may differ from branch to branch and room to room, and prospective users should be aware of the attributes prior to establishing their reservation. Community Rooms may not be available in all locations.
- Conference Rooms – small or mid-sized meeting rooms with fixed configurations that may have less flexibility than Community Rooms. These spaces are best suited for groups of two to ten (based on official occupancy certification by the Fire Marshal). Conference Rooms may not be available in all locations.
- Study Rooms – small rooms with fixed configurations designed for individual or small group (four or fewer, based on the official occupancy certification by the Fire Marshal). Study Rooms may not be available in all locations.
- Reservation Guidelines
- A reservation may be made up to two weeks in advance. The Library reserves the right to limit the number of reservations by any organization so that all groups may have a fair opportunity to use the meeting rooms.
- A cancelled reservation must be reported to the Library in advance of the scheduled reservation. Failure to cancel with notice may result in the cancellation of all remaining reservations.
- A Study Room reservation may be forfeited 15 minutes after the start of the reservation time if the reserving party does not arrive to begin their use.
- Study Rooms may only be reserved for periods that occur during branch library hours, unless otherwise approved by the Library.
- The Library may cancel study room reservations for operational reasons.
- Use Guidelines
- A group or individual using a branch library meeting rooms shall abide by the Library Code of Conduct.
- Alcohol is prohibited in branch library meeting rooms.
- A user of a branch library meeting room shall adhere to the posted occupancy limit.
- No funds shall be collected on Library property except for the sole benefit of the Library or at approved Library programs.
- The individual or group reserving and using the branch Study Room must adhere to time limits set by the Library. All meetings must end 15 minutes prior to the branch library’s closing. Meeting preparations and take down must be made within the overall meeting room availability timeframes.
- Study rooms in designated children’s and teen areas are intended for use by youth and their caregivers.
- A Study Room is to be left as it was found.
- Individuals and groups using a Study Room may not use the branch phone number or mailing address.
- Authorization to Define Procedures
The purpose of this policy is to clarify who, how and when individuals and groups may use branch library Study Rooms (defined below) and spaces provided by the Board of Trustees of the Jacksonville Public Library (henceforth, the Library). This policy does not govern the operation or use of the Conference Center at the Main Library, nor the Community Rooms or the Conference Rooms (as defined below) located in branch libraries, all of which are governed by separate policies.
While branch library Study Rooms are generally meant for use by the public, the Library reserves the right to use Study Rooms for administrative purposes at any time.
Any individual holding a current Jacksonville Public Library card may reserve and use a study room. Study room activities are not required to be open to the public.
Permission to reserve and use a space does not constitute an endorsement by the Library of the group, program or any point of view expressed. The name of the Library or the branch library may not be used to publicize any non-library sponsored meeting without written permission from the Library, except to designate the meeting location.
The Board of Library Trustees authorizes the Library Director to establish procedures to administer this policy, and to delegate any and all responsibilities herein to other staff through such procedures.
- 3.6.1 Branch Library Meeting Room Use