Effective: October 12, 2006
Last Reviewed: February 22, 2022
- Information Collected & Retained
- Personally Identifiable Information. The Library collects the minimum amount of personally identifiable information required when customers register for a library card or other library services. Elements of this information may be used for statistical purposes. Examples of personally identifiable information which may be required include:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Library Card Number
- Birth date
- Driver’s license number
- Other Information. Other information may be collected by the Library about users of the Library’s facilities, website,
computers, Wi-Fi, catalog, online resources, services and systems. Examples include:
- Browser type, operating system, referring URL and domain and Internet protocol (IP) address from which the user is connecting, geographical location of the network used to link to the Library, time and date of access
- Personalized catalog settings, such as search preferences, marked items, saved searches
- Number of log ins, number of holds requested, number of renewals
- Images collected by the security video surveillance cameras
- Reservation information for library classes, programs or meeting rooms
- Type of material borrowed including reading level and subject
- Use and Disclosure of Information
- Credit Card Information. Credit card information will not be retained by the Library as part of any transaction. Credit card information provided for fees or services is used only for that intended purpose and is transmitted via encryption to a credit card processor. The Library complies with current standards.
- Confidentiality of Registration and Circulation Records
- Authorization to Define Procedures
- Associated Library Policies
- Relevant Law and Legislation
This policy outlines the commitment of the Board of Trustees and staff of the Jacksonville Public Library (Library) to protect the privacy of Library customers and to transparently communicate the type of information that is collected and share how it is to be used.
The Library collects and retains customer data that is necessary for the provision and management of library services, needed to provide opt- in/opt-out library services desired by library customers, and required by law.
Information collected will be used only for the purpose of delivering services and improving the delivery of services whether in person or online. The Library may also use collected information to communicate with customers and administer library accounts. The Library will not disclose information related to the use of library materials, content or resources used to any third party except contractors and consultants that are employed by the Library in the conduct of library operations, evaluation and improvement of library services; upon the request or consent of an individual customer; or pursuant to a proper judicial order. The Library does not give, share, sell or transfer any personally identifiable information to third parties for monetary compensation.
The Library has implemented security measures to protect information and data collected. Technical measures include encryption in the transmission and storage of data, limits on access through use of passwords, and storage of data on secure servers or computers that are inaccessible to un-authorized users. However, the Library cannot guarantee that such information, including personally identifiable information, will remain confidential or secure from unauthorized access.
Library card/account registration and circulation information are addressed in Policy 2.3.1 - Confidentiality of Registration and Circulation Records.
The Board of Library Trustees authorizes the Library Director to establish procedures to administer this policy, and to delegate any and all responsibilities herein to other staff through such procedures.