Effective: August 1, 2022
Last Reviewed: July 26, 2022
- Authority to Restrict Access to Services
- Per Chapter 90 of the Jacksonville Code of Ordinances, the Board of Library Trustees (BOLT) of the Jacksonville Public Library shall be responsible for the administration of the free public library system established by the City Council.
- In order to fulfill this responsibility, the BOLT or Library may restrict a customer’s ability to borrow materials and/or to visit library facilities when such use may jeopardize the health and cleanliness of library facilities, collections and users.
- Situations When Services May Be Restricted
- Examples of situations where borrowing of materials or access to library facilities may be suspended or restricted include, but are not limited to:
- Evidence that items on loan to a customer may have been returned with insects that are known to be damaging to library materials, or that can result in pest infestations in library facilities, e.g. roaches, silverfish and some types of beetles.
- Customers or customer possessions with fleas, lice, or bed bugs.
- Customers with clothing that is stained with urine and feces.
- Per the library Circulation Policy, replacement charges will be assessed for items returned damaged for reason including but not limited to health and safety considerations.
- Issuance of Suspension/Restriction Notification
- Written notice of said suspension;
- The terms of the suspension, and;
- The reason(s) for the suspension.
- Appealing Suspension/Restriction for Health and Safety Reasons
The Board of Library Trustees authorizes the Library Director to establish procedures to administer this policy, and to delegate any and all responsibilities herein to other staff through such procedures.
To establish a policy that ensures that the Library provides a healthy and clean environment for customers and staff and to protect the City’s investment in library collections, equipment and property.
In the event the Library determines that an individual shall have his or her library privileges suspended for health or safety reasons, the Jacksonville Public Library shall provide the customer with:
Any customer who wishes to dispute the suspension or restriction of library privileges for health or safety reasons may do so. BOLT Policy 5.5.1 Appealing the Implementation of Library Policy governs and guides the appeal of all health and safety related suspensions or restrictions.
Associated Library Policies
- Circulation Policy
- 1.5.3 Tobacco & E-Cigarettes
- 3.3.1 Customer Code of Conduct
- 5.5.1 Appealing the Implementation of BOLT Policy
Relevant Law and Legislation