Go on adventures in the desert, under the sea, and in space without leaving the ground. Let your imagination soar with this week's activities and books!
#READ – Sweet Dreaming by Julia Rawlinson
Use your library card or apply for an ecard here to access our digital library!
Molly's mother imagines stories to lull her to sleep, from swooping birds to a quiet beach, and soon one of them has nodded off.
Increase pre-literacy skills as you read together:
- Help your child to understand the story by pretending to fly like a bird, walk in the desert like a camel, and swim like a whale just like Molly and her mom.
- Practice saying the rhyming words at the end of each line together.
- Before turning the page to reveal what Molly pretends to be, ask your little learner to imagine what she will be or where she will go next.
#SING – Imagination Song
When you imagine, you can be
anything your mind can see.
You can fly up through the stars.
You can sail across the sea.
All the places you can go
And all the people you can know
Just close your eyes and
you can see where your imagination leads.
#EXPLORE – Box of Adventure
- Cardboard box
Ways to explore:
- Ask your little one where they would like to go or or what they would like to do. Play pretend based on their response. For example, if they want to go to space, offer the box as a rocket.
- Follow along on your little one's chosen adventure and encourage their imagination by asking questions such as "What do you see?" and "Where are we going next?".
- Spark a new adventure every day by placing different items in the box such as a stuffed animal. Ask your little learner how the stuffed animal made it into the box and where they think it will go.
#JOIN – Join us for storytime virtually or at branches!
Join us for a storytime either outside of our library or in the community! Your child loves singing, dancing, playing and reading! Gather them around for a storytime they won’t forget featuring Pete the Cat's Groovy Imagination by Kimberly & James Dean and Sun Flower Lion by Kevin Henkes!
I is for Imagination! This literacy-based program is for children from birth to pre-K and their families. We will sing, talk, read, write, and play together to develop the pre-literacy skills your little ones need to get ready to read and write. We will share Pete the Cat's Groovy Imagination by Kimberly & James Dean and Sun Flower Lion by Kevin Henkes!
Virtual Little Movers & Shakers
Let’s get the wiggles out! This music-based program is for children from birth to pre-K and their families. Through books, songs, and movement activities we will build pre-literacy skills. Get moving with Imagine That by Yasmeen Ismail and Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle!
Wiggle Wednesdays with The Florida Ballet and the Jacksonville Public Library
The Florida Ballet’s Wiggle Wednesday will provide children and their parent a unique opportunity to explore movement through literature. Each month we will center our movement activities/class around a selected piece of children’s literature. We will be utilizing music and props, focusing on movement exploration using the book's descriptive language and beautiful imagery. This week we will share Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle.
Wednesday, November 3 - 10:30 am -11:15am
The Florida Ballet Studios - 10131 Atlantic Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32225
Register for the event here.