Not ready for bed yet? We'll get cozy this week for some sleepytime fun that's sure to keep you awake. Yawn...
#READ: Sheep Go to Sleep by Nancy Shaw
Use your library card or apply for an ecard here to access our digital library!
It's time for bed but the sheep just can't settle down. Never fear, a trusty sheepdog is here to help. What will it take to get these restless sheep to bed? A hug? A blanket? A drink of water? Will this dedicated collie ever get these bleating sheep to sleep? From the team behind the bestselling SHEEP IN A JEEP, this sweet and silly sleepytime tale is perfect for anyone putting a demanding little one to bed.
Increase pre-literacy skills as you read together:
- Use your fingers to count along with the story.
- Count the five sheep on the page. After collie gives one sheep a hug and it falls asleep, how many are still awake? Continue as each sheep falls asleep.
- Act out the story:
- Wink, hug, snore, tap a rhythm with hands or feet, close your eyes and pretend to sleep.
- As you read, define words your little one might not know. E.g.,
- Stroll- to walk
- Thickets- bushes
- Collie- a type of dog
- Snug- comfortable and warm
- Quilt- blanket
- Weary grin- sleepy smile
- Drowse- sleep
- Ask your little one to try to identify the other animals (fireflies, bird, skunk, owls) that appear in the first few pages.
#SING: Ten Little Creatures
(Tune: One Little, Two Little)
1 little, 2 little, 3 little rabbits
4 little, 5 little, 6 little rabbits
7 little, 8 little, 9 little rabbits
10 little rabbits sleeping!
1 little, 2 little, 3 little giraffes
4 little, 5 little, 6 little giraffes
7 little, 8 little, 9 little giraffes
10 little giraffes sleeping!
1 little, 2 little, 3 little birds
4 little, 5 little, 6 little birds
7 little, 8 little, 9 little birds
10 little birds sleeping!
1 little, 2 little, 3 little fireflies
4 little, 5 little, 6 little fireflies
7 little, 8 little, 9 little fireflies
10 little fireflies sleeping!
#EXPLORE: Bedtime Scavenger Hunt
- Bedtime supplies, e.g.,
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Stuffed animals
- Before bedtime, hide your little one's bedtime supplies around their room, bathroom, and nearby areas.
- Go through your bedtime routine together.
- What do we do first? Do we put on our pajamas?
- As they identify each step of their bedtime routine, have them search for the supplies to do it.
- First we need to find our pajamas! Where could they be?
- After they find the supplies, have them complete the bedtime task before moving on to the next search.
- We found our pajamas! Let's put them on and then you can tell me what we do next to get ready for bed.
Optional: If they need help searching, you can tell them they are "hotter" (close to the item) or "colder" (further from the item).
#JOIN: We would love to see you at one of our in-person or virtual programs!
Join us for a storytime either outside of our library or in the community! Your child loves singing, dancing, playing and reading! Gather them around for a storytime they won’t forget featuring If I Were a Kangaroo: A Bedtime Tale by Mylisa Larsen and Good Night Like This by Mary Murphy.
G is for goodnight! This literacy-based program is for children from birth to pre-k and their families. We will sing, talk, read, write, and play together to develop the pre-literacy skills your little ones need to get ready to read and write. We will share If I Were a Kangaroo: A Bedtime Tale by Mylisa Larsen and Good Night Like This by Mary Murphy.
Virtual Little Movers & Shakers
Let’s get the wiggles out! This music-based program is for children from birth to pre-k and their families. Through books, songs, and movement activities we will build pre-literacy skills. Get moving with Bedtime Ballet by Kallie George and Nighttime Symphony by Timbaland.