We love OverDrive at the library! OverDrive is a database library cardholders can use to check out e-books for their e-readers and audiobooks to stream on their phone or desktop. However, it can be confusing learning how to get these digital materials to your devices. That's why we're here to walk you through it step-by-step!
How to download the OverDrive App
1. You'll need your library card (FJP) number and pin number to get started. If you don't have a library card, you can sign up for an e-card here or visit one of our 21 library locations to sign up for one.
2. Download the OverDrive app on your phone or tablet.
3. Click Sign Up.
4. Click Sign up using library card.
5. Enter Jacksonville Public Library and click Go.
6. Choose any of the Jacksonville, FL locations (doesn't matter which one).
7. Enter your Library Card number starting with the FJP and your pin number and click Sign In.
8. Click Add a Library and search Jacksonville Public Library. Choose any of our locations.
How to add audiobooks to your phone
1. When you are ready to add an audiobook that you've already checked out from OverDrive, click on the three horizontal lines on the right side.
2. Click on My account then Loans. If this is your first time accessing your account you will need to re-enter your library card information.
3. Here you will see the titles checked out to you. Click on the yellow Download MP3 Audiobook box to add it to your bookshelf. This is also where you can return books once you finish them.
4. Now click on the three horizontal lines in the top left and click on Bookshelf.
5. Click on the book. Happy listening!
How to add e-books to your Kindle
1. Once you login to the OverDrive app, click on Add Title in your Bookshelf.
2. You can easily see which Kindle books are available by clicking on the three horizontal doors and clicking Kindle Books.
3. When you find a title you want to borrow, click Borrow.
4. Select a lending period (if prompted) and click Borrow.
5. After you borrow the title select Read now with Kindle.
6. You'll be taken to Amazon's website to complete checkout and send the e-book to your Kindle device or reading app.
- If you're signed into Amazon, select a device or reading app from the "Deliver to:" drop-down menu, then select Get library book. The book will be sent to your Kindle device or reading app.
- If you're not already signed into Amazon, select Get library book. You'll be prompted to sign in. After you sign in, choose the device or reading app where you'd like to send the book you borrowed, then select Continue. The book will be sent to your Kindle device or reading app.
7. Your Kindle e-reader must have a Wi-Fi internet connection to download library Kindle Books from Amazon. If you don't have a Wi-Fi connection, you'll need to transfer the title via USB.
8. Once a book is on your Kindle device or reading app, you can open it from your device or app's home screen and read it just like any other Kindle Book. For specific help reading on your device (like how to change the font or save a bookmark), visit Amazon Device Support.
9. If you want to read the e-book on a different Kindle device or app, you can deliver it again from Amazon's website during the lending period.